php5-mysql +mysql5 error

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 05:44:54 PDT 2011

On 26/10/11 at 05:45, sewebster at gmail.com (Scott Webster) wrote:

>It's not really that you can't put stuff in /usr/local... it's just
>that if you do, likely macports won't work properly, and we won't be
>able to support it, so you're on your own.  It will depend on the
>ports you use etc etc.  There are large numbers of problems reported
>on the mailing list and in the ticket system that in the end are
>caused by other software the user has installed in /usr/local.

Thanks to Ryan & Scott for the inside skinny on this...

At present only MySQL, Python 3.3, Git & a newer version of perl
than the MacPorts apache one (plus CPAN) reside in /usr/local.
The MacPorts version of perl is in my $PATH so perl --version
returns /opt/local/bin although `whereis` perl defaults to the
OS X system version. I’ll adjust that.

Having read the archives I noticed that the vanilla use of CPAN
is not advised & so I’ll read about cpan2port.

Once again, thanks.

Cheers,

     Phil.
--
Please consider the environment before reading this email...