N00b: Xcode 4.1, Lion, C compiler cannot create executables?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 10 17:26:41 PDT 2011

On Sep 10, 2011, at 14:10, Geordon VanTassle wrote:

> Please forgive my low level of knowledge, I'm mostly just a button pusher.
>
> However, I am trying to install some dependencies for a project that I'm working on and everything seems to be failing because the C compiler cannot create executables.  I looked for something in the MacPorts ticket problems lists, and the closest thing that I can find suggested that it's a setup problem.  I downloaded the Xcode installer from the App Store and executed it (install went fine, apparently, Xcode environment opens with not a problem).
>
> I did a "port clean gperf" (gperf is the first item that is failing) and tried to install a second time, and it failed again.  I have attached the main.log in hopes that someone with more knowledge than I have can tell me what's goung pear-shaped.

Most likely, Xcode is not installed properly. Reinstall Xcode.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#missingxcode

If that doesn't seem to be the problem, do what the log says:

:info:configure See `config.log' for more details.

config.log will be under the directory identified by the command "port work gperf". If you like you can send us the config.log and we'll see what's up.