libpython.dylib sym link ?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 08:30:50 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 07:22, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I guess the root port always uses -lpython without querying the python
>> config. A symlink in this directory should not harm, so it could be added.
>>

> I think this is the case. The root build system doesn't allow for a
> versioned python library, only 'libpython'.
>
> I'll try and follow this up with the root devs upstream, but I suspect it
> will take some effort to get this changed, if at all. If it would be easy
> and OK for the python ports to just add this symlink in the Frameworks
> areas, that would be very useful indeed.

You might want to point out that the Python developers (not the MacPorts
Python folks, but GvR & co.) are unlikely to have any sympathy for anyone
who doesn't use the correct python*-config command to get the correct
library, especially given that it's still currently necessary in many
environments to have both a Python 2.x and Python 3.x installed.