libpython.dylib sym link ?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 10:54:20 PDT 2011

Hi,

Looking into things a bit more, I think I find what the root build system is doing wrong. Its not quite as simple as I first thought. I had a small typo in the paths I was passing by hand to test things outside macports, and when I fixed that I now get

Checking for Python.h ... /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6
Checking for python2.7, libpython2.7, libpython, python, or Python ... no

so it is looking for a versioned library, but the wrong one.

In the configure script there are hacks like

       pythonvers=`python -c 'import sys; sys.stdout.write(sys.version[:3])'`

… so basically it picks up whatever the user has as there default 'python' version and uses that as the version. This explains why I get the output above, and why on Lion python 2.7 seems OK but 2.6 fails, whilst when I was still on SL, 2.6 was OK and 2.7 failed.

I'll raise the issue with the root devs, to see if it would be possible to fix this…

Chris