moving macports to a different location

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 08:54:04 PDT 2011

I have two computers -- my Intel Core i7 MacBook Air has macports installed on it at /opt with a bunch of packages that work. I want to recreate the entire set up on my Intel Core i7 iMac (both computers are running Lion). I was hoping to simply copy the /opt tree to the new computer. However, the iMac has two disks, and I want to set up macports on /Volumes/extradrive/opt. My question -- can I, should I do this, and how? If not, is there an easy way I can recreate all the packages from my MBA on to my iMac without having to install each one separately?

Thanks in advance.