moving macports to a different location

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Sep 13 10:29:00 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:54, Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was hoping to simply copy the /opt tree to the new computer. However, the iMac has two disks, and I want to set up macports on /Volumes/extradrive/opt. My question -- can I, should I do this, and how?

You could certainly copy the full file tree to the new location and
then edit etc/macports/macports.conf to update the relevant paths. One
issue that I could see croping up is if there are any absolute paths
that have been compiled into installed software. I'll leave it to
someone else to comment there. I'm sure this isn't a supported
process.

> If not, is there an easy way I can recreate all the packages from my MBA on to my iMac without having to install each one separately?

I was going to suggest installing from the software archives that
exist on the MBA, but MacPorts always compiles from source if you're
using a non-standard prefix.

Why do you want to use the extra drive for MacPorts? There may be a
better solution than what you're asking for.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448