Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Thu Sep 15 10:50:15 PDT 2011

> --->  Fetching archive for expat
> --->  Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1_1.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2 from
> http://packages.macports.org/expat
> --->  Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1_1.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160
> from http://packages.macports.org/expat
> Error: Target org.macports.archivefetch returned: Failed to verify
> signature for archive!

Ensure you've run selfupdate ^_^

Then, there are two possibilities: bad download or missing publickey configuration.

That archive works for me, so perhaps something that was downloaded on your end was corrupted. You can find the files (and nuke them) in $prefix/var/macports/software/expat

Then to ensure it's gone and try again:
sudo port -f uninstall expat
sudo port clean --all expat
sudo port install expat

You should see:
$ sudo port install expat
--->  Fetching archive for expat
--->  Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1_1.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/expat
--->  Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1_1.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from http://packages.macports.org/expat
--->  Installing expat @2.0.1_1
--->  Activating expat @2.0.1_1
--->  Cleaning expat
$

If it continues to misbehave, inspect those downloaded files: see if they're HTML or something whacky. Also ensure you have the macports public key:
$prefix/share/macports/macports-pubkey.pem

And that you're configured to use it:
$prefix/etc/macports/pubkeys.conf

Finally, if it continues to be a problem, you can always build the package from source:
`sudo port -s install expat` (-s for source only, -b from binary only)