enabling access to MacPorts apache2 through the Lion firewall

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 10:32:12 PDT 2011

This is not exactly a MacPorts question, but kinda related since I am using MacPorts apache2 instead of the factory supplied version, and I figured one of you might know the answer. I have the apache2 port installed at /opt/local/apache2 on my Lion iMac. I have the firewall turned on, and even though the app is listed as allowing incoming connections, I can't get to the iMac if the firewall is on. If I turn off the firewall, the web server works fine.

My question -- is there any other app besides httpd that needs to accept incoming connection in order to allow httpd to work?

    $sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --unblockapp \
      /opt/local/apache2/bin/httpd
    2011-09-17 12:21:44.041 socketfilterfw[40441:d07] CFURLCreateWithBytes
    was passed these invalid URLBytes: '/opt/local/apache2/bin/httpd
    Incoming connection to the application is permitted

So, the problem could be related to the error message that "CFURLCreateWithBytes was passed these invalid URLBytes: '/opt/local/apache2/bin/httpd" (note the missing closing single quote)

Nevertheless, the following command lists httpd as accepting incoming connections.

$sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --listapps
ALF: total number of apps = 7

..

3 :  /opt/local/apache2/bin/httpd
 	 ( Allow incoming connections )

Yet, if I turn on the firewall, the web server is unreachable.

Suggestions?