Howto install tomcat6

Sebastian Mohr sebastian.mohr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 01:29:55 PDT 2011

Hi there,

Sorry ... this might be a newbie question. I am trying to install Tomcat 6
based on this tutorial with MacPorts 2.0.3 on Leopard 10.5.8:

http://mikevalentiner.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/how-to-install-and-run-tomcat-on-macos/

When trying to install Tomcat 6 via "sudo port install tomcat6" after some
time I get this error:

   Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log
for details)
   Error: Failed to install commons-fileupload
   Log for commons-fileupload is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_java_commons-fileupload/commons-fileupload/main.log
   Error: The following dependencies were not installed: commons-fileupload
commons-httpclient commons-codec commons-io commons-launcher commons-modeler
mx4j jakarta-bcel jakarta-regexp jakarta-taglibs-standard-11 xalanj xercesj
saxpath
   To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

Not sure what this means and what I need to do. After that I have checked
that these projects have been built already ... checked with "port
installed":

   apache-ant @1.8.2_0 (active)  commons-beanutils @1.8.2_0 (active)
   commons-collections @3.2.1_0 (active)
   commons-daemon @1.0.2_0 (active)
   commons-dbcp @1.2.2_0 (active)
   commons-digester @2.0_0 (active)
   commons-el @1.0_1 (active)
   commons-logging @1.1.1_0 (active)
   commons-pool @1.5.4_0 (active)
   hamcrest-core @1.2_0 (active)
   jakarta-log4j @1.2.16_0 (active)
   junit @4.6_2 (active)
   servlet23-api @1_0 (active)
   servlet24-api @5.5.28_0 (active)

Since I used a working tomcat 6 with an earlier version of MacPorts (don't
remember which version number) and upgraded to 2.0.3 I assume that this
might have caused the problem. That's why uninstalled MacPort with

%% *sudo port -fp uninstall --follow-dependents installed*

... and:

%% *sudo rm -rf \
    /opt/local \
    /Applications/DarwinPorts \
    /Applications/MacPorts \
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* \
    /Library/Receipts/DarwinPorts*.pkg \
    /Library/Receipts/MacPorts*.pkg \
    /Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup \
    /Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0 \
    /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 \
    ~/.macports*

... as mentioned in the documentation:

http://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.uninstalling

But this didn't help solving the same problem.
Any hints? I hope you could help me out here.

Thanks,
masu