sshfs and Fuse4x

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 20 07:33:29 PDT 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 09:27, Puneet Kishor wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> We don't support users installing software in /usr/local while using MacPorts; it can interfere with MacPorts software. Please remove or rename /usr/local, clean the affected ports, and try again.
>
> Perhaps my sequence of actions wasn't clear. Here is what I did --
>
> 1. installed MacFuse by downloading it, double clicking, installing

That likely installed it into /usr/local.

> 2. installed MacPorts sshfs and sshfs-gui using `sudo port install <portname>`

MacPorts would have then installed the fuse4x port (or the macfuse port, if you hadn't selfupdated in awhile) but probably encountered a conflict with the macfuse you installed manually.

> 3. $`sshfs` failed to work. Console showed that MacFuse failed to load because of wrong architecture
> 4. Saw ticket #30639
> 5. uninstalled MacFuse
> 6. uninstalled sshfs and sshfs using `sudo port uninstall <portname>`
> 7. installed Fuse4x by downloading it, double clicking, installing

This probably also went into /usr/local and confused MacPorts.

> 8. reinstalled MacPorts sshfs
>
> still got the above message
>
> Looked in /System/Library/FileSystems and found fuse4x stuff in it... good.
> Looked in /Library/FileSystems, made sure there was nothing related to MacFuse in it... good.
>
> repeated #6-8 above. Still got the above message.
>
> 9. installed sshfs from Fuse4x web site. That got installed in /usr/local/bin. Everything works now.

If you're happy with that, then that's fine, but we cannot offer assistance for MacPorts installations on computers that also have things installed in /usr/local.