Trouble updating my ports, how to fix this?

Peer Stritzinger peerst at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 10:20:36 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

These are ancient issues; sounds like you had not updated your MacPorts
> installation in several years.

True ... once you get behind far enough updating is a bigger issue and tends
to be postponed further, making it even worse.

> Dozens of updates are committed daily, so you should strive to receive
> those updates on a regular basis. Consider updating at least monthly. You
> should not wait longer than one year to update MacPorts; ports are sometimes
> renamed or rearranged in a way that requires compatibility code be inserted
> into a port -- compatibility code we typically remove after about a year
> since we assume everyone will have updated during that time.

Makes perfect sense, and I'm glad the macports on this machine are current
again, I'll keep it that way from now.

Thanks again & Cheers
-- Peer