Trouble updating my ports, how to fix this?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 28 22:17:59 PDT 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 15:43, Peer Stritzinger wrote:

> After this I had two further blocking points one was this issue:
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-November/012299.html
>
> The fix from the archive worked ok
>
> After this there was only a issue with libungif (like here http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.macports.user/18982)
>
> Deactivating libungif fixed this also.
>
> After this the upgrade run to the end.

These are ancient issues; sounds like you had not updated your MacPorts installation in several years. Dozens of updates are committed daily, so you should strive to receive those updates on a regular basis. Consider updating at least monthly. You should not wait longer than one year to update MacPorts; ports are sometimes renamed or rearranged in a way that requires compatibility code be inserted into a port -- compatibility code we typically remove after about a year since we assume everyone will have updated during that time.