mysql55

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sun Apr 1 10:22:18 PDT 2012

Decided to give mysql55 a go. Switching from mysql5

Everything appeared to work just fine with the build.

deactivated mysql5 and mysql5-server (forced due to some dependencies)

installed mysql55 and mysql55-server

port select mysql mysql55

mysql won't start due to the following problems, both stemming from my.cnf defaults that worked previously

[mysqld]
pid_file=/var/mysql

If this line is included mysql fails to start complaining that /var/mysql is a directory, which is a true statement. If I comment out, or make
'pid_file=' then the pid file is created in the data directory. That's OK, I guess. I don't know why it stopped working.

[mysqld]
federated

If this line is included (to enable the FEDERATED engine) mysql fails to start complaining about 'unknown option --federated'
If I comment it out, mysql starts.

How do I enable the FEDERATED engine in this case? Something missing in the build that allows it?

After getting mysqld to start I did

  sudo port load mysql55-server

Should 'port select mysql mysql55' or 'port select mysql-server mysql55-server' make the commands

  port load mysql-server

choose the proper engine to start? or should I just deal with unloading/loading the server specifically?

8)