lib release

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 7 22:17:29 PDT 2012

On Apr 7, 2012, at 06:30, Daniel Ericsson wrote:

> As for what changes you need to make, some of these probably just need "-g -DDEBUG" added to their CFLAGS, others might need edits to header files. I'd take note of what changes are needed and then open tickets with request for enhancement of these ports – that they get a debug variant.
>
> As an aside I'm curious why you need debug builds of these libraries? Developing against a normal release build shouldn't really be a problem. My perception is that mostly debug builds are to help with the development of the libraries themselves?

I'd say that's not an aside—that's the central question. Why debug builds? We'd need a good answer to that before we should consider adding debug variants to any ports. (I'm unclear why we have debug variants on the ports that we already have them on.)

A ticket was recently filed to add a debug variant to MacPorts base, for inclusion in all ports:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33821

I expressed the same reservations there. An answer was provided there. I don't know how to respond to it; I'm not sure if this is a road MacPorts wants to start down.