lib release

Daniel Ericsson deric at macports.org
Sat Apr 7 04:30:54 PDT 2012

On 7 apr 2012, at 10:35, Marko Vranic wrote:

> Ok,
>
> How can get release builds?

Please reply-all so the mailing list can contribute to the discussion.

I would investigate how to do a debug build for each of the library, then install them in a multi-step approach.

1. `port extract <port>`, the distribution will now be in "work/" in the port's directory.
2. do any changes necessary for the configure step to configure for a debug build.
3. `port configure <port>`
4. do any changes necessary for the build step to build a debug version.
5. `port destroot <port>`, this will build the port for you, but also verify that the make install step works.
6. `port install <port>`

As for what changes you need to make, some of these probably just need "-g -DDEBUG" added to their CFLAGS, others might need edits to header files. I'd take note of what changes are needed and then open tickets with request for enhancement of these ports – that they get a debug variant.

As an aside I'm curious why you need debug builds of these libraries? Developing against a normal release build shouldn't really be a problem. My perception is that mostly debug builds are to help with the development of the libraries themselves?

-- Daniel