Wordpress package default installation

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Sun Apr 8 08:22:35 PDT 2012

> There hasn't been any great effort to standardize how the various web app ports work. In my opinion, they should probably all install into a directory ${prefix}/www/${name}. It is then up to the user to configure their web server to use the software from that location.

So going with what was suggested earlier (adding an alias a configuration for that directory) would be a simple thing to do, but creating one for every possible web server configuration might be more annoying. That being said, as we come across patches from users of each type of server, we can begin automating this in the webapp portgroup you suggest.

> The ports should not install into ${prefix}/apache2/htdocs because most of them do not specifically require the apache2 server; they would probably work fine with other web servers like lighttpd or nginx.
>
> I might not be opposed to a webapp portgroup that somehow automates the task of configuring popular web servers to expose a given web app at a predictable URL. This might involve modifying each web server so that it looks for additional config files in a particular directory, then having the webapp portgroup write a config file for each such web server. The webapp could even add a notes entry telling the user what URL to open to use the web app. That would be pretty nice.

The usual approach is to segment the Apache configuration into a main file and various directories to pull in additional configuration files. Specifically, phpmyadmin and wordpress would place their alias/directory definitions files (phpmyadmin.conf and wordpress.conf) into:
${prefix}/etc/apache2/conf.d

> On the other hand, it's hard to anticipate where a user will want the web app exposed in the web space. For a user's personal development machine, sure, we could default to making e.g. phpmyadmin available athttp://localhost/phpmyadmin. But what about a production server? What if this server serves several vhosts? Should we expose the web apps on the default vhost only? Or all of them? What if the user wants each web app available at its own vhost? Since there is so much variation possible, it may be simplest to just install the web app's files, and leave configuring the web server to serve them up to the individual user.

Have Apache default to localhost only. If a user intends to use production, other things like PHP's ini file need changed around as well. Not to mention many default Apache modules should be disabled and the settings for max hosts should be lowered so the machine isn't choked to a standstill by a swarm of requests.