Upgrading p5-app-ack fails for me.

Barrie Stott zen146410 at zen.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 14:54:21 PDT 2012

On 8 Apr 2012, at 06:51, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2012, at 05:48, Barrie Stott wrote:
>
>> 'port outgraded' showed that p5-app-ack and p5.14-app-ack (but no other *-app-ack) needed to be upgraded and p5.14-app-ack did so without a hitch.
>>
>> The ports I have  of the form p5* are:
>> p5-app-ack @1.940.0_2 (active)
>> p5.12-file-next @1.20.0_2
>> p5.12-locale-gettext @1.50.0_6+universal (active)
>> p5.14-app-ack @1.940.0_2
>> p5.14-app-ack @1.960.0_0 (active)
>> p5.14-file-next @1.20.0_2 (active)
>>
>> 'port info p5-app-ack' shows the following where the line of particular interest is 'Replaced by: p5.14-app-ack'
>> p5-app-ack @1.960.0 (perl)
>> Replaced by:          p5.14-app-ack
>> Sub-ports:            p5.8-app-ack, p5.10-app-ack, p5.12-app-ack, p5.14-app-ack

>>                    source code.
>> Homepage:             http://betterthangrep.com/
>>
>> Library Dependencies: p5.14-app-ack
>> Platforms:            darwin
>> License:              unknown
>> Maintainers:          mschout at gkg.net, openmaintainer at macports.org
>
> All ports named beginning with "p5-" are "stub" ports. They don't install anything; there's no point in installing any of them. Install the port designed for the specific version of perl you want to use, e.g. p5.12-app-ack or p5.14-app-ack.

I have now removed p5-app-ack.

> In theory, all the version-specific ports should be able to coexist with one another. In practice, they don't, as you're seeing:
>

>> --->  Activating p5.12-file-next @1.20.0_2
>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:  /opt/local/share/man/man3/File::Next.3pm.gz is being used by the active p5.14- file-next port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate p5.12- file-next' to force the activation.
>
> Dan Ports wrote a message to the mailing list about this in February, suggesting that we should stop pretending to support multiple simultaneous perl versions when it's obviously not working:
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-February/017727.html
>
> No decision was reached but I support the idea of offering only a single version of perl, 5.14, in MacPorts.

I've decided to do the same. Someday the default of 5.12 will change and I suspect that I would in for lots of change then so I may as well move to 5.14 now. I've had much of the day on this and no serious problem has cropped up so I thought I would reply to your email and thank you for taking the time to help; it's much appreciated.

Barrie.