UsingTheRightCompiler

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 21:04:58 PDT 2012

Yes I am referring to the Wiki article found here...
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/UsingTheRightCompiler

I just can't say a lot for Clang.  I have mentioned this before.  I have
taken many suggestions.  Tried Tried and Tried some more to like Clang.

I just can't do it.

Its ugly.  It causes more problems between ports that depend on one
another, yet some are built with Clang, other built with GCC.

I am simply fed up with Clang and I don't really want to use it anymore.
Clang does't respect architecture settings, no matter which I use (i386 or
x86_64).

Case and point - Pango crashes during compile no matter which Arch I use:

*libtool: link: /usr/bin/clang  -o .libs/pango-basic-coretext.so -bundle
 .libs/basic-coretext.o   -framework Carbon -L/opt/local/lib  -O2 -arch
x86_64 -arch x86_64   -framework Carbon
-Wl,-exported_symbols_list,.libs/pango-basic-coretext-symbols.expsym*

*Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:*

*<snip unnecessary error output>*

*ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64*

*clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)*

I am just sick of running into linking errors -- either they happen now, or
they happen eventually during an upgrade.  Either way, I usually end up
getting frustrated, and wiping out my whole ports tree, and attempt to
rebuild from scratch.

In this case…I still hit that link error with Pango.

Would someone PLEASE just tell me how I can force the default compiler to
be GCC. No configure.compiler does not work, and no environment variables
CC CPP CXX do not work.  I have both set to gcc-4.2 and yet Pango still
defaults to use Clang and crashes no matter what I try.

I don't want to edit every single Portfile when I hit this issue, because
when I sync again, my changes go away.

There simply HAS to be some way of forcing Macports to use the compiler
that I want to use and not argue and not make changes whenever and just do
what I tell it to.

Is that so much to ask?  Can I please just use GCC and never EVER have to
see another Clang linking error again. PLEASE!???!

Thanks,
Jeff