Which version of "Wine", or am I on the wrong track?

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Apr 16 17:19:34 PDT 2012

On 16/04/2012, at 10:00 PM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:

> I am not sure which version of Wine to install from Macports (there
> are three), or if this is even the right approach for what I want to
> do.
>
> The goal: Edit a "movie" (screen recording), from the view that 80-90%
> of what I recorded will be tossed.
> iMovie is a failure (as far as I can tell) as selecting sections and
> removing them.
> This means I'm going to use VirtualDub (only program I've found so far
> that is good at selecting lots of specific frame ranges and tossing
> them).
> And this means I'm going to need either XviD or DivX for Windows (or
> am I wrong?)
> Note that the standard apple mp4 encoder does not produce good enough quality.
>
> A quick look shows three different, incompatible versions of wine,
> with different sets of patches and features.
> Additionally, Crossover has their commercial version with their "keep
> everything separate/bottles" feature.
>
> So what's the proper version of Wine, to get VirtualDub and Divx or
> Xvid, and has anyone already done this and knows what warnings to
> watch out for?

YMMV but I was unable to do any editing under wine.
I did three things ...
Install vbox from oracle. BUY a copy of XP and use that. Worked well.
Get a native dmg of avidemux which has a nice transcode stack and works well.
install ffmpeg from macports (I think it includes mjpegtools, but in any event mjpegtools) which worked very very well. Needless to say I am a CLI geek and ffmpeg has a CLI from hell.
See http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/MEncoder/Tips_and_Tricks which was also useful to me.
James