Using MacPorts Python packages in different Python

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Apr 17 08:31:30 PDT 2012

>> Is there a clean way to make the MacPorts packages available to the Enthought Python without breaking anything? I'd prefer not having multiple copies of rope, pymacs etc., if possible.
>
> They're not designed to be used that way; I don't know if they can be made to work that way.
>
> If you have suggestions for how MacPorts python could be improved so that you no longer find it necessary to use someone else's python, we would appreciate hearing them.

I'd try creating your python PortGroup (copy the existing one, give it a new number). Then, you can set the paths for everything that the Enthought Python uses and MacPorts will honor that when a package is set to that PortGroup's number.

However as Ryan showed, if there are bugs mixing them together, you'll be more or less on your own. Or if you can find an uber pythonista to help you out.