Which version of "Wine", or am I on the wrong track?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 13:22:37 PDT 2012

>> On Apr 15, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
>> > I am not sure which version of Wine to install from Macports (there
>> > are three), or if this is even the right approach for what I want to
>> > do.
>> >
>> > The goal: Edit a "movie" (screen recording), from the view that 80-90%
>> > of what I recorded will be tossed.
>> > iMovie is a failure (as far as I can tell) as selecting sections and
>> > removing them.
>>
>> Pretty sure you can cut frames with iMovie.

I am completely unable to manage selecting frames and deleting them
with iMovie. Maybe there's a trick that I don't know.

Things/commands/keystrokes behave differently when there is a
selection inside the current clip and when there is not.
Things behave differently when you are working with a clip in a
project vs an event clip.
I cannot find a way to adjust the left/right ends of a selection
without simply moving the selection -- the length of the selection
does not change when I try to adjust the start or end point of a
selection.

I want to be able to say "This selection is what I want to toss", and
at other times "This selection is what I want to keep".

The whole "Nudge your mouse and lose your place" is a pain.

Again, my goal here: Work with a screen grab is that several hours
long, find the good stuff, clip and keep the good stuff, toss the bad
stuff. Figure that I'll be tossing 80% of what I recorded. (It would
be so nice if iMovie could pause/resume while recording, but it
cannot, and resizing to only the interior contents of a window --
without the title bar -- is a pain.)

QuickTime player can play at 2x speed and keep the sound good.
iMovie playing at double speed -- *IF* I can get it to work (most of
the time that command is greyed out) plays with distorted sound.

I found this nice option for "Keep a clip on a single horizontal line
that scrolls", and I thought it would be an improvement. But it only
seems to work in the project window, and for me it just kept a bunch
of clips on one line, rather than each clip on a separate line. (Each
clip came from the same event.)

I can get plenty of information from the help system for "How to use
the commands in the menus".
I cannot find any information on "How to use the tools provided in the
menus to actually edit a movie".
All I can find is basically "How to put a bunch of clips together with
some preset transitions to impress your grandmother".

The whole idea in iMovie of "You have to click to make a selection,
you cannot turn the playhead position into the start/end of a
selection" means that no matter what I do to find the point I want to
start my selection at, I cannot actually start my selection there --
my click will not be at the frame I'm looking at.

Etc. If you've got a "Here's how to actually EDIT in iMovie" document,
please share it. Assembling clips with transitions is not the goal.
Clipping and tossing is.

>> > This means I'm going to use VirtualDub (only program I've found so far
>> > that is good at selecting lots of specific frame ranges and tossing
>> > them).
>>
>> There are going to be better options for video editing on the Mac then
>> running a Windows program.

I hope so.

>> Quicktime Pro Player has been able to cut video many years. The pro version
>> used to cost $35.

Quicktime player has the ability to clip and cut now.
But once you've done clipping/cutting you cannot export it (if there
are three or more clips in the final).

>> Have you looked at the MacPorts ports for Avidemux and Kdenlive.

No, I haven't heard of them. I'll look at them next.

> Or the free app MPEG Streamclip?  "You can use MPEG Streamclip to: open
> most movie formats including MPEG files or transport streams; play them
> at full screen; edit them with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Trim; set In/Out
> points and convert them into muxed or demuxed files, or export them to
> QuickTime, AVI, DV and MPEG-4 files"
>
> http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

That sounds good. Thank you.