OpenAL framework stops kdegames4 upgrade

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 06:25:49 PDT 2012

On 19/04/2012, at 10:05 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> FYI, KDE Games in KDE 4.9 development is progressively switching to a
>> new KgSound class in libkdegames.  This class uses OpenAL and libsndfile,
>> if the latter is found in a version that can load .ogg files, otherwise KgSound
>> falls back to Phonon (but there has been a history of problems with Phonon
>> playing short sounds in time with game actions).
>>
>> In port kdegames4 @4.8.1, I think only KGoldrunner and Granatier are using
>> OpenAL, but some other games have had performance problems reported
>> re the latest Phonon and GStreamer backend (e.g. heavy CPU usage and
>> slow response).  OpenAL is definitely the weapon of choice if you want to
>> have sounds in KDE Games.
>
> That's not the issue: the issue is he has libraries outside of MacPorts that are being pulled in.

Well, I just wished to warn that the dependency of kdegames4 on OpenAL
and any problems arising will increase as more games start to use it.

But I do not understand why pulling in a library from outside Macports is necessarily
an issue.  Sound (with OpenAL) is working for me in KGoldrunner.  I did:

Tara:~>port search openal
openal @1.3 (audio, devel)
    OpenAL is a cross-platform 3D audio API
Tara:~>port installed | grep openal
Tara:~>port installed | grep kdegames
  kdegames4 @4.7.4_0
  kdegames4 @4.8.1_0 (active)

So it seems sounds in kdegames4 are OK for me but I am not getting OpenAL
from Macports.  I am using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 and Macports 2.0.4.

Puzzled, Ian W.