OpenAL framework stops kdegames4 upgrade

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Thu Apr 19 06:32:28 PDT 2012

> Well, I just wished to warn that the dependency of kdegames4 on OpenAL
> and any problems arising will increase as more games start to use it.
>
> But I do not understand why pulling in a library from outside Macports is necessarily
> an issue.  Sound (with OpenAL) is working for me in KGoldrunner.  I did:
>
> Tara:~>port search openal
> openal @1.3 (audio, devel)
>    OpenAL is a cross-platform 3D audio API
> Tara:~>port installed | grep openal
> Tara:~>port installed | grep kdegames
>  kdegames4 @4.7.4_0
>  kdegames4 @4.8.1_0 (active)
>
> So it seems sounds in kdegames4 are OK for me but I am not getting OpenAL
> from Macports.  I am using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 and Macports 2.0.4.
>
> Puzzled, Ian W.

The issue is a manually installed framework to /Library, which may be the wrong version/architecture/who knows what, differing from what KDE is expecting. We cannot trust it, and as we saw from earlier in the thread, there are already build issues with it.

The issue isn't OpenAL itself; the issue is KDE is currently picking up that specific OpenAL framework in /Library when it definitely should not.