Help with conjoined apaches

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 06:23:39 PDT 2012

On 29/04/2012 13:24, jeff at ayendesigns.com wrote:

> It is running. Activity monitor shows mysqld running under user
> _mysql.First of all, have you checked that mysql-server is actually
> running?  I had found a million hits :)  I spent quite a bit of time
> reading them, trying what seemed logical, modifying what I did to
> account for the age of some (many refer to user mysql and now it's
> _mysql), etc., to no avail.
>
> I stopped mysql, at which point the process disappears from Activity
> Monitor as it should. Restart it, and the process reappears, but so does
> the mysock error :(

Does `/private/tmp/mysql.sock` exist (there's also a symlink at
`/var/mysql/mysql.sock`)?

Your best bet is to read the official MySQL reference docs at:

<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/connecting-disconnecting.html>

Cheers,

  Phil...

>     Quickest way other than the cli is open Activity Monitor & select `All
>     processes` & enter `mysqld` in the search box.
>
>     Or from the cli 'ps -ef | grep mysql'
>
>     If it isn't running, start the server. If it is running, it's because
>     mysqld can't find the required `mysqld.sock`. In which case re-starting
>     the server should automatically generate the mysqld.sock file.
>
>     Also if you enter `ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL
>     server through socket` in Google, you'll get about a million hits. It's
>     a very common problem when first installing/upgrading MySQL.

- --
But masters, remember that I am an ass.
Though it be not written down,
yet forget not that I am an ass.