gnuplot on MacPorts with aqua?

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Sun Apr 29 09:41:18 PDT 2012

On Apr 29, 2012, at 3:46 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 08:39, Marko Käning wrote:
>>> On Apr 27, 2012, at 11:13 PM, Jason Swails wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you tried rebuilding aquaterm with MacPorts?
>>
>> Well, I've done that just now and it didn't change anything.
>> X11 works, aqua doesn't. :-(
>
> GNUPLOT
>
> It would be perfect if gnuplot had slightly more flexibility to:
> a) specifying which aquaterm to use if there are many versions on the system
> b) explicitly enable or disable aquaterm
> c) use "-framework AquaTerm" and "-F/path/to/Frameworks" instead of
> "-I/path/to/include/" and "-laquaterm"
> d) specify a different default terminal even when aquaterm is installed
>
> The (c) part was an explicit wish of Per Persson, the rest are my own
> "feature requests".
>
> I submitted two patches to gnuplot to do (a)-(d), see:
>    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3476165&group_id=2055&atid=302055
>    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3476336&group_id=2055&atid=302055
> or for (a)-(c):
>    https://github.com/mojca/gnuplot/blob/mojca/m4/apple.m4
>
> One of the main developers consequently applied the following patch
> which solves (b) only:
>    https://github.com/mojca/gnuplot/commit/e68660baab61725e74d24438ea72774208e03600
> by disabling aquaterm by default and only providing a switch to enable it.
>
> (I'm sorry for sending links to unofficial version of repository, but
> I'm not aware of a nice way to link to single commits on ViewVC,
> http://gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net/gnuplot/)
>
> One of the main "problems" is that nobody in the core development team
> of Gnuplot is a mac user, so they depend solely on external people
> sending patches and providing feedback. There is lack of both (people
> sending patches for OS X and people testing the patches and providing
> valuable feedback).

Mojca, thanks for the background.
Send links to patches along with any conditions of when they should be applied.
At some point this discussion should probably be moved to macports-dev at lists.macosforge.org.

> I wanted to submit some of the mentined patches also on the Macports
> tracker to get more testers, but I would first like to get gnuplot
> 4.6.0 included into MacPorts before AquaTerm hacks are discussed, see:
>    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/33596

On 10.6 I applied this patch the upgrade of gnuplot finished without issue.
http://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/33596/gnuplot4_6_0-v2.diff

> I volunteered to become gnuplot maintainer, but I need some
> experienced developer with commit rights first to review the patch and
> do the final commit to SVN.

Mojca: since you are the maintainer of gnuplot and that ticket has a lot of patches is the patch I applied ready for commit?
If so and know one has already committed by the time I return from a 4 hour working meeting I'll commit this for you.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)