Processing of port gimp-help-en failed

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 14:42:15 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Jim Graham <spooky130u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 02:39:16PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > On Aug 1, 2012, at 14:20, Jim Graham <spooky130u at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > :info:build You have not agreed to the Xcode license agreements,
> > > please run xcodebuild standalone from within a Terminal window to
> > > review and agree to the Xcode license agreements.
> >
> > Perform this step.
>
> Ok, I did that.  No matter what directory I'm in, it spits out an error
> about that directory not having an Xcode project (whatever that is).
> I thought Xcode was nothing but free development tools, like gcc,
> etc.....what's this license for?

Incorrect.  That's the Command LIne Utilities you downloaded.

Xcode is a development environment for OS X GUI applications.  MacPorts
requires all of Xcode to be installed because of ports such as gimpshop
that come as Xcode projects, and because the exact Xcode version tells us
what specific quirks to look for/work around in specific compilers (the
version information in the compiler itself is not sufficient for this for a
number of reasons).

Many native (as opposed to X11, like standard gimp) GUI applications are
Xcode projects instead of autoconf+makefile projects, and Xcode itself is
needed to build them.  xcodebuild is the command line wrapper for the Xcode
project management GUI.  I don't know if it actually sends Apple Events to
Xcode to do things, offhand, but it's certainly possible.

(It is conceivable that Apple changed something in Xcode 4.4 that means
Xcode projects produced for earlier Xcode versions don't quite work right,
though.)