some port was "nice" enough to remove TeX w/o my permission

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 12:54:57 PDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 01:45:27PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2012, at 07:24, Jim Graham <spooky130u at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just went to run TeX on a file I'll be needing Monday morning for a
> > medical appointment, and much to my surprise, TeX is no longer installed

> I really don't think so? *installing* a port should not *uninstall* any
> other ports. *Upgrading* a port *could* uninstall old versions of
> dependencies, *if* you used the "-u" flag when upgrading to indicate
> that you wanted that to happen.

I've mainly installed stuff.  And, I don't think I've updated anything
since I installed TeX (I don't think I installed much of anything since
then except netpbm and gimp).  I *know* I haven't done an update with a
-u option.

> Were you using the "texlive" ports from MacPorts

Yes.

I got it reinstalled, so that's ok, but I'm still curious as to just
how/why that happened.  I use TeX for too many things to allow anything
else to fsck with it....  (Btw, I use plain TeX only...LaTeX---or is
that laTeX---is just too weird...where plain TeX is nice and simple[1]).

Thanks,
   --jim

[1] ...to me, anyways.  :-)

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        MiSTie #49997  < Running Mac OS X Lion >

        Do not look into waveguide with remaining eye.

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html