some port was "nice" enough to remove TeX w/o my permission

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Sat Aug 4 15:07:58 PDT 2012

> I really don't think so… *installing* a port should not *uninstall* any other ports. *Upgrading* a port *could* uninstall old versions of dependencies, *if* you used the "-u" flag when upgrading to indicate that you wanted that to happen.

For most users, uninstall and deactivate are effectively the same thing.

With that in mind, I know in some packages are deactivated during an install because a given files may be installed by a different package in separate versions of the package. If you don't remove the other package first, you'll run into an error where a file is already installed by another package.

This happens in various category:textproc and category:kde4 packages (pdfjam comes to mind as one that "uninstalls" texlive-bin-extra).