Why can't I select the Mountain Lion Python 2.7?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Wed Aug 8 16:40:42 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 04:01:52PM -0700, Sam Halliday wrote:
> I really don't want to install macport's Python, because Mountain Lion
> already comes with Python. If I uninstall python27 (and all the ports
> that depend on it) and issue "port select --list python" I get
>
> Available versions for python:
> 	none (active)
>
> Does this mean I can't select the system python27? And if so, why is this?

Did you install the python_select port? It sohuld install a couple of
files in /opt/local/etc/select/python that allow selecting the system
python. However, this is useless, since you already have "none" selected
and typing "python" in a terminal will fall back to the system python.

> Furthermore, is it possible to install "subversion-python27bindings"
> against the system Python 2.7?

No, and it's not supported, and it won't be.

> PS: is it possible to be subscribed to this mailing list so that I can
> post via nabble, but without receiving *ANY* e-mails? Google Groups
> makes such a thing very easy.

Since this is a mailman list, you can probably change your delivery
settings using the usual mail interface or the web interface at
http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo/macports-dev.

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 07:09:16PM -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> Homebrew was the most recent attempt by someone to pretend that
> avoiding the system-installed stuff is "just being stupid" or
> whatever. It, like everyone else, has switched to installing and
> managing its own ecosystem.

They finally did?

--
Clemens Lang