+no_x11 as default

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 09:09:00 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Federico Calboli <f.calboli at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Is it there a way of making the option +no_x11 (where available,
>> obviously), the default?  I hate when macports tries to install X11 -- I can
>> do
>

> Yes and no.  "No" because +no_x11 is deprecated and being removed from the
> ports that still have it;

I'm maintainer of gnuplot which still has no_x11 variant. I wasn't
aware of that deprecation until I read this email. Should I remove the
option no_x11, add the option x11 instead, and add x11 to
default_variants?

How exactly does the transition have to be done in order not to
confuse users updating the port? For example, if user currently has
the default variant installed (without no_x11 flag), whould he loose
x11 support during port upgrade? If yes, is there any way to prevent
this?

Thank you very much,
    Mojca