+no_x11 as default

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu Aug 9 11:48:04 PDT 2012

On Aug 9, 2012, at 9:09 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Federico Calboli <f.calboli at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it there a way of making the option +no_x11 (where available,
>>> obviously), the default?  I hate when macports tries to install X11 -- I can
>>> do
>>

>> Yes and no.  "No" because +no_x11 is deprecated and being removed from the
>> ports that still have it;
>
> I'm maintainer of gnuplot which still has no_x11 variant. I wasn't
> aware of that deprecation until I read this email. Should I remove the
> option no_x11, add the option x11 instead, and add x11 to
> default_variants?
>
> How exactly does the transition have to be done in order not to
> confuse users updating the port? For example, if user currently has
> the default variant installed (without no_x11 flag), whould he loose
> x11 support during port upgrade? If yes, is there any way to prevent
> this?

Check out libsdl:
port cat libsdl | grep -A4 "variant_isset no_x11"
if {[variant_isset no_x11]} {
    default_variants -x11
} else {
    default_variants +x11
}

or others:
echo $REPO
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports
find $REPO -maxdepth 3 -name Portfile -exec echo {} \; -exec grep -A5 -i -E -- "variant_isset.*no_x11" {} \; | grep -B1 -v /Portfile

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)