Ghost proxies

jfontana josep.m.fontana at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:05:52 PDT 2012

I'm having problems getting MacPorts to work. I run 'port sync' in verbose
mode and I see that part of the error message is:

rsync: failed to connect to proxy.upf.edu: Operation timed out (60)

What is weird is that this is the proxy address at work but I'm miles away
and my Mac is not configured to go through a proxy.

Here is the whole error message. Can anybody help me figure out what is
going on? Thanks.

Josep M.

 jfontana$ port -d sync
--->  Updating the ports tree
Synchronizing local ports tree from
rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
DEBUG: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after '--exclude=/PortIndex*'
rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports
rsync: failed to connect to proxy.upf.edu: Operation timed out (60)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/clientserver.c(105) [receiver=2.6.9]
Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after '--exclude=/PortIndex*'
rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports
Exit code: 10
Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
DEBUG: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed
    while executing
"mportsync [array get global_options]"
port sync failed: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed