Error: No valid Xcode installation is properly selected.

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Tue Aug 28 13:29:56 PDT 2012

Hi Clemens,

thanks for spending time on this. I looked into the code you quoted: on my computer _is_valid_developer_dir still checks for a subdirectory Headers inside $dir, which has the correct value /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer. That is precisely what the fix for #35150 should have removed.

And indeed:

~> port version
Version: 2.1.99

Thus the upgrade to 2.1.2 failed and indeed:

~> sudo port -d selfupdate
Password:
DEBUG: Copying /Users/luc/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
DEBUG: MacPorts sources location: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
receiving file list ... done

sent 36 bytes  received 69 bytes  42.00 bytes/sec
total size is 3543040  speedup is 33743.24
receiving file list ... done

sent 36 bytes  received 76 bytes  44.80 bytes/sec
total size is 512  speedup is 4.57
DEBUG: successful verification with key /opt/local/share/macports/macports-pubkey.pem
DEBUG: /usr/bin/tar -C /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp -xf /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base.tar
MacPorts base version 2.1.99 installed,
DEBUG: Rebuilding and reinstalling MacPorts if needed
MacPorts base version 2.1.2 downloaded.
--->  Updating the ports tree
Synchronizing local ports tree from file:///Users/luc/Developer/macports/dports
Creating port index in /Users/luc/Developer/macports/dports

Total number of ports parsed:	0
Ports successfully parsed:	0
Ports failed:			0
Up-to-date ports skipped:	15604

--->  MacPorts base is probably trunk or a release candidate
DEBUG: Setting MacPorts sources ownership to root

The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
  port upgrade outdated

So it downloads 2.1.2 but it does not install it! What is it I am missing here?

Best wishes,

Luc