Error: No valid Xcode installation is properly selected.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 28 23:53:03 PDT 2012

On Aug 28, 2012, at 15:29, Luc Bourhis <luc_j_bourhis at mac.com> wrote:

> And indeed:
>
> ~> port version
> Version: 2.1.99
>
> Thus the upgrade to 2.1.2 failed and indeed:
>
> ~> sudo port -d selfupdate
> Password:
> DEBUG: Copying /Users/luc/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
> DEBUG: MacPorts sources location: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> receiving file list ... done
>
> sent 36 bytes  received 69 bytes  42.00 bytes/sec
> total size is 3543040  speedup is 33743.24
> receiving file list ... done
>
> sent 36 bytes  received 76 bytes  44.80 bytes/sec
> total size is 512  speedup is 4.57
> DEBUG: successful verification with key /opt/local/share/macports/macports-pubkey.pem
> DEBUG: /usr/bin/tar -C /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/tmp -xf /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/base.tar
> MacPorts base version 2.1.99 installed,
> DEBUG: Rebuilding and reinstalling MacPorts if needed
> MacPorts base version 2.1.2 downloaded.
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> Synchronizing local ports tree from file:///Users/luc/Developer/macports/dports
> Creating port index in /Users/luc/Developer/macports/dports
>
> Total number of ports parsed:	0
> Ports successfully parsed:	0
> Ports failed:			0
> Up-to-date ports skipped:	15604
>
> --->  MacPorts base is probably trunk or a release candidate
> DEBUG: Setting MacPorts sources ownership to root
>
> The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
>   port upgrade outdated
>
> So it downloads 2.1.2 but it does not install it! What is it I am missing here?

At some point in the past you decided to install an unreleased development version of MacPorts ("2.1.99"), and based on the problem you're experiencing, you installed it before that ticket was fixed. All development versions' version numbers end with ".99". Selfupdate won't update you to 2.1.2 because "2.1.99" appears to be greater than "2.1.2" even though in this case it's not. You should force the selfupdate to run, thus upgrading you to 2.1.2 and getting you back to standard released MacPorts versions. Thereafter selfupdate will work normally again.

sudo port -f selfupdate