Backups

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 29 16:17:09 PDT 2012

On Aug 29, 2012, at 18:07, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> it'd be handier just to have the
> files/dirs needed to run everything again & put all my ports back in
> place as they were if the need arose.
>
> Could somebody give me the list needed to do this?

MacPorts doesn't really have such a feature, but there is a procedure written about how to do that here:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

There is also a script in the last section of that page automating the reinstallation port. So in your backup, you'd want to perhaps automate running "port -qv installed > myports.txt" and saving that myports.txt file in your backups somewhere. Of course there's no guarantee that at a later time you'll be able to reinstall these particular versions of these ports again, if updates to MacPorts have occurred since you first installed them. Also, this won't save any files you've modified, like config files in /opt/local/etc; you should back up any such files yourself.