Backups

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 16:27:54 PDT 2012

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Aug 29, 2012, at 18:07, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> it'd be handier just to have the
>> files/dirs needed to run everything again & put all my ports back in
>> place as they were if the need arose.
>>
>> Could somebody give me the list needed to do this?
>
> MacPorts doesn't really have such a feature, but there is a procedure written about how to do that here:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> There is also a script in the last section of that page automating the reinstallation port. So in your backup, you'd want to perhaps automate running "port -qv installed > myports.txt"
>and saving that myports.txt file in your backups somewhere. Of course there's no guarantee that at a later time you'll be able to reinstall these particular versions of these ports again,
>if updates to MacPorts have occurred since you first installed them. Also, this won't save any files you've modified, like config files in /opt/local/etc; you should back up any such files yourself.

So if I `sudo cp -R /opt/local/macports` to a suitable location & use
the ports installed file (I regularly take a snapshot of ports installed
via `port -qv installed > myports.txt`) that should give me a head start
in case alarm bells start to toll?

I'll also study the migration page although Snow Leopard is where I get
off the train as far as OS X is concerned.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
But masters, remember that I am an ass.