processing wxWidgets failed

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:37:47 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Wahlstedt Jyrki <jwa at macports.org> wrote:

> On 29.8.2012, at 18.10, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I attempted 'sudo port install wxWidgets' and got an "Error: Processing of port wxWidgets failed". This is under OS X 10.8.1 with current XCode command-line tools installed and using MacPorts 2.1.2.
>>
>> Here's output from 'sudo port -d install wxWidgets':
>>
> <snip>
> Here's the thing: wxWidgets (2.8.12.1 currently) will not build on 10.8 (in a supported way at least). This is due to the fact that the required SDK containing Carbon support does not exist anymore. There is the port wxWidgets-devel (2.9.4) that builds fine. Of course there is the chance that all dependents may not yet work with the newer version (I know some).

I would suggest to open a ticket for that issue and collect all ports
that fail to build with wxWidgets 2.9.4.

There are many ports that have probably not even been attempted to be
built with 2.9.4.

> The wxWidgets stable should be ok, as soon as 3.0 is released,

But that won't magically make the dependents work once 3.0 is out. I
feel like it's also a mission of MacPorts to help testing packages
that depend on wxWidgets and make sure to report problems or submit
patches upstream to package authors if current ports don't work with
version 2.9.4.

> which unfortunately may take some time still.

No doubt about that. The webpage writes that version 3.0 might be
released this year, but it will probably be months after that date.

Given that 2.8 doesn't compile on 10.8 and causes "universal
headaches" on Lion - wouldn't it be about time to try to create a
separate package wxwidgets28 (possibly in such a way that it won't
interfere with the other one - is that possible? I see wxwidgets26
without conflicts, but I'm not sure if that's really the case or not),
promote 2.9.4 to wxWidgets and if a specific package fails to work
with wxWidgets, make a dependency on wxWidgets28 instead of the main
one.

I'm not talking about something that should be committed to trunk
right now, but at least starting some development branch for testing
transition to the new wxWidgets might be helpful.

I know that 2.9.4 is declared to be development version, but it's the
only one that works nicely on 10.7 and 10.8 and most ports depending
on wxWidgets don't even try to depend on 2.9.4 (= provide a variant to
depend on wxWidgets-devel).

Mojca