running script error (eigen symmetric)

Amy Anderson amyla333 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:35:12 PST 2012

Dear macports-users,

I am a new macports, python, and scipy user and I am looking for some help
to troubleshoot an error I have been getting when trying to run a script in
python. The script I am trying to run is called pyCluster ROI and it needs
python, pynifti, scipy, and numpy to run. I have installed all these
programs successfully using macports on Mac OS 10.8.

I unarchived the scripts and ran the test script getting this error:

$ python pyClusterROI_test.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "pyClusterROI_test.py", line 48, in <module>

    from make_local_connectivity_scorr import *

  File
"/Users/matthewnye/Downloads/pyClusterROI/make_local_connectivity_scorr.py",
line 40, in <module>

    from scipy.sparse.linalg.eigen.arpack import eigen_symmetric

ImportError: cannot import name eigen_symmetric

I have been trying to hunt down what this error may be and it seems that
older versions of scipy might have used
‘scipy.sparse.linalg.eigen.arpack.eigen
symmetric()’  where as new versions it has been renamed as "
scipy.sparse.linalg.eigen.arpack.eigs()."

Does anyone know what might be causing this error or if it is a version
problem, is there any way to get an older version of scipy through
macports? Also I have considered installing all these modules through a
manual install but since i am a novice user I did not want to attempt that
if there was a potentially simpler solution.

Thank you for any help you can give.

-Amy