install multiple versions of a library

Federico Beffa beffa at ieee.org
Sun Dec 30 09:16:14 PST 2012

Hi All,

after some month I updated my ports and find that the newer version of the
program "xsane" has a bug and does not close properly (segmentation fault.
The bug has already been reported).

Now I could in principle revert to the previous version. However, the older
version does not run because during the update the library libpng has been
updated from version 1.4 to 1.5 and the older version of xsane has been
compiled against 1.4. Therefore I would have to revert to libpng14. This
would in turn break all programs compiled during the update against
libpng15.

My question is: is there a clean way to have both library versions
installed at the same time?

Thank you for your help!
Fede