py27_wxpython

Ulrich Wienands wienands at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:41:54 PST 2012

Yes, wxWidgets-python is older than wxWidgets, but do two minor
releases cause widespread incompatibility??

Looking at the port file again, it seems that, even though ppc is
listed as supported architecture, it also seems to demand Darwin 11,
i.e. OS X 10.6...?? I am by no means an expert in reading these port
files so I am not sure I interpret this correctly.

Of course, the next question is: what is so special about 10.6y that
it is needed for wxWidgets?? I have gcc-4.5 running on this machine;
that is newer than what Apple installs (which I think is 4.2 for 10.6;
but I could of course be wrong). The port file checks for clang but
that seems to be an optional one.

I am wondering whether it is possible to doctor the port file to
change the dependency to wxWidgets-python?? After all, what is that
one for, if not for wxpython???

Tx,

Uli