py27_wxpython

Wahlstedt Jyrki jwa at macports.org
Sun Feb 5 07:17:17 PST 2012

On 5.2.2012, at 4.53, Ulrich Wienands wrote:

> I would like to install wxWidgets and wxpython and start python gui programming.
>
> So I install python27... ok
> I try py27-wxpython: no go; it claims wxWidgets cannot install on ppc:
> ------ Error msg I get:
> sudo port install py27-wxpython
> Password:
> Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider using selfupdate
> --->  Computing dependencies for py27-wxpython
> Error: Cannot install py27-wxpython for the arch(s) 'i386' because
> Error: its dependency wxWidgets does not build for the required
> arch(s) by default
> Error: and does not have a universal variant.
> Error: Unable to execute port: architecture mismatch
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
> ------- End error msg.

There really should be nothing to prevent wxWidgets to build on PPC, it's listed in supported_archs. There must be something else…

> So I poke around in the list of ports and come across
> wxWidgets-python, which in fact says in the port file that it is mean
> for py**-wxpython.
>
> Installing that... works fine (I use the Carbon variant since I run on
> Tiger/PPC). I now have python27 installed as well as wxWidgets-python.
>
> However, py27-wxpython still won't install. I try port -f to see if I
> could force the issue, but no. Same error as above. (Note that the
> error msg. is slightly confusing, but it does try to build for ppc but
> can't get wxWidgets). It is true that wxWidgets' portfile seems to
> require i386 so I am out of luck there; but why is wxWidgets-python
> not enough??

As I looked, wxWidgets-python is old version, it is 2.8.10.1, as wxWidgets (stable) is 2.8.12, and the corresponding wxPython 2.8.12.1. A few years ago I had a short discussion with the upstream maintainer of wxPython concerning the sync state of wxWidgets and wxPython. My thinking is that if we have something like wxPython that depends on something like wxWidgets, then if there is a release of that depended on, the dependent should always follow, but that is and unfortunately does not seem to be case with wxPython, in which source code modifications may exist in any wxPython release having its own internal package of wxWidgets. I have updated my own ports only when there is a sync release, in which wxWidgets is built separately from wxPython. At the moment there is a unified py-wxpython port, but it depends on wxWidgets, not on wxWidgets-python.

> Thanks for any insight. Again, this OS X 10.4.11 on PPC.

That is a bit old, and I think 10.4 is not officially supported anymore. I myself have not a 10.4 system to use, so I can't help very much. Sorry for that!