py27_wxpython

Wahlstedt Jyrki jwa at macports.org
Sun Feb 19 06:40:13 PST 2012

CAJt9RbRL8dDd_w9HT5Mea9kKX+o3upE7qhngJ43J2GeP5nYxbA at mail.gmail.com>
To: Ulrich Wienands <wienands at gmail.com>

On 18.2.2012, at 22.38, Ulrich Wienands wrote:

> Ok, so I did my sudo port -d sync. It works & updates a whole bunch of stuff.
>
> Retry to install py27-wxpython, but now... it is no longer there:
> --------------------
> [UBC-PowerBook:~] uli% sudo port -d install py27-wxpython
> Error: Port py27-wxpython not found
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
> --------------------
So,
what version of MacPorts do you have? Currently the wxpython port is a unified python port:
===
jwa at bach:wine-devel> port info py27-wxpython
py27-wxpython @2.8.12.1 (python, graphics)
Sub-ports:            py24-wxpython, py25-wxpython, py27-wxpython

                      language. It allows Python programmers to create programs
                      with a robust, highly functional graphical user interface,
                      simply and easily. It is implemented as a Python extension
                      module (native code) that wraps the popular wxWindows
                      cross platform GUI library, which is written in C++.
Homepage:             http://www.wxpython.org/

Library Dependencies: python27, wxWidgets
Platforms:            darwin
License:              unknown
Maintainers:          jwa at macports.org
===
So, if you have a port py-wxpython containing string 'subport' in it ('port cat py-wxpython'), you should have a MacPorts-version that supports the feature. I must confess that I can't say immediately, which version introduced this.

> Sure enough; the sync deleted py27-wxpython. It added
> py27-wxpython-devel, which neeeds wxWidgets-devel. Trying that one,
> and it bombs:
> ----------------------------
> <snipped out updating of some dependencies that worked>...
>
> DEBUG: OS darwin/8.11.0 (Mac OS X 10.4) arch powerpc
> DEBUG: org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
> procedure. Target override will not be provided
> DEBUG: org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a
> pre-existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
> DEBUG: Using group file
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/_resources/port1.0/group/muniversal-1.0.tcl
> DEBUG: Reading variant descriptions from
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/_resources/port1.0/variant_descriptions.conf
> DEBUG: universal variant already exists, so not adding the default one
> DEBUG: epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
> DEBUG: gperf 3.0.4_2 exists in the ports tree
> DEBUG: gperf 3.0.4_0  is the latest installed
> DEBUG: gperf 3.0.4_0  is active
> DEBUG: Merging existing variants '' into variants
> DEBUG: new fully merged portvariants:
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/gperf
> DEBUG: OS darwin/8.11.0 (Mac OS X 10.4) arch powerpc
> DEBUG: org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
> procedure. Target override will not be provided
> DEBUG: org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a
> pre-existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
> DEBUG: Using group file
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/_resources/port1.0/group/muniversal-1.0.tcl
> DEBUG: Reading variant descriptions from
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/_resources/port1.0/variant_descriptions.conf
> DEBUG: invalid command name "installs_libs"
>    while executing
> "installs_libs   no"
>    (file "Portfile" line 12)
>    invoked from within
> "source Portfile"
>    invoked from within
> "$workername eval source Portfile"
>    (procedure "mportopen" line 49)
>    invoked from within
> "mportopen $porturl [array get interp_options] [array get variations]"
> Error: Unable to open port: invalid command name "installs_libs"
> DEBUG: upgrade libiconv failed
>    while executing
> "macports::_upgrade_mport_deps $mport $target"
>    (procedure "mportexec" line 26)
>    invoked from within
> "mportexec $workername $target"
> Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade libiconv failed
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
> [UBC-PowerBook:~] uli%
> -----------------
Here
the problem is libiconv port. This should obviously be solved before going further!
> So now I am stuck with no more py27-wxpython and a development version
> what I cannot use because the wxWidgets version won't install... not a
> happy situation.
>
> What gives?

So,
is there any possibility for you to upgrade? PPC is supported in Leopard, IIRC, though even that is an old version, and may be hard to get. Probably would be better to buy new hardware, too, but I don't know your options (refurbished machines should be quite ok)?!

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780 6366 EFD9 139C C386