problem with mysql 5 install and configuration

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 06:06:57 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 06:50, Érico <ericomtx at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. add 2 symb links
> sudo ln -s /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock /temp/mysql.sock

/tmp/mysql.sock, I hope (but if you need to do this then something is
misconfigured).

> is there any specific content for the :
> /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock  ?
>
> I was creating a empty file with :
> $ touch /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock

Don't do this.  It's an AF_UNIX socket, not a normal file; creating a
normal file would likely prevent the server from starting.  It should not
exist before starting the server.

> also I have edited the /opt/local/etc/mysql5/my.cnf file with the content
> :
>
> mysqld_safe]
> socket =/temp/mysql.sock
>
> [mysqld]
> socket = /temp/mysql.sock

Again, (1) /tmp not /temp (2) and you should not need to do this, and might
need to doublecheck the configuration of everything that wants to connect
to the database if you *do* do it.