problem with mysql 5 install and configuration

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 5 07:31:12 PST 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 05:50, Érico wrote:

> 2. add 2 symb links
> sudo ln -s /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock /temp/mysql.sock
> sudo mkdir /var/mysql
> sudo ln -s /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock /var/mysql/mysql.sock

Why? Please undo this.

> Is it mandatory to use :
> sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.mysql5.plist
>
> or is it only if I want mysql to load on startup

It is used if you want MySQL to start now and at startup.

Equivalently you could use:

sudo port load mysql5-server

It is probably best to use neither "sudo launchctl load" nor "sudo port load" until you get the server starting correctly. Until then, just run "sudo -u _mysql mysqld_safe5" directly.

> is there any specific content for the :
> /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock  ?
>
> I was creating a empty file with :
> $ touch /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock

Please delete that. It's a socket, not a file. You don't create it; the MySQL server does when it starts up successfully. Just make sure the _mysql user has permission to create things in this directory. (Installing the mysql5-server port should ensure that for you.)

> also I have edited the /opt/local/etc/mysql5/my.cnf file with the content :
>
> mysqld_safe]
> socket =/temp/mysql.sock
>
> [mysqld]
> socket = /temp/mysql.sock