Re: MacPorts-2.0.3 can’t be installed on this computer.

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Wed Jan 11 08:59:00 PST 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Arno Hautala wrote:

> On 2012-01-11, Kristen McQuinn <mcqu0060 at umn.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I followed the instructions to manually uninstall the files, but no files
>> were found.
>
> Which files did you try to delete? You may indeed not have some of the
> files / folders that are listed.
> What commands did you enter in the Terminal to attempt this deletion?
>
>> I manually deleted the port, portindex, and portmirror files that I found
>> in /opt/local/bin.
>> Then I tried to install the MacPorts-2.0.3 dmg, but got the same error as
>> before (must install 1.7.1 first).
>
> Instead of deleting specific files in /opt/local, you should be
> deleting /opt/local and its contents

Caution should be exercised when deleting /opt/local.
Examples: the user may have valuable database files in /opt/local/var/db/mysql5 or conf files in /opt/local/etc.

I would suggest you first move /opt/local out of the way; then after you have the current MacPorts installed and previous functionality restored you can delete the old dir.

To move old prefix out of the way.
$ sudo mv /opt/local /opt/local-20120111

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)