Is using Apple's GCC 4.2 on PowerPC-Tiger worth it?

Daryle Walker darylew at mac.com
Wed Jan 11 21:03:59 PST 2012

I'm stuck on an August-2002 G4 eMac, running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.
I noticed that Apple's GCC 4.2, which I think is used on all post-
Tiger systems[1], is an option.  Is it worth downloading; can I do
anything with it?  I saw a bug #16745 describing you guys never
adapting it, but saw a page at <http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/
KDE_on_Mac_OS_X/Macbook_Manifesto> hacking a way in anyway.

BTW, I have regular GCC 4.6 installed too.  (It took several days to
build!)  Will macports use the latest GCC installed, or always use my
Apple-GCC-4.0.1?  (I think I saw a MacPorts wiki saying that the
developer can tweak which one is used.)

[1] I think Apple gave up on GCC for CLang on Lion systems.

Daryle W.