x264transcode failing in mkvtoonix

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Jan 12 06:26:50 PST 2012

At 9:39 PM -0600 1/11/12, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>On Jan 11, 2012, at 21:00, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to install x264transcode on my MacBook Pro (early 2011, core i7) under Mac OS X 10.6.8 with XCode 3.2.6.  It failed while installing the dependency mkvtoolnix complaining that some bits of boost weren't declared.
>
>Sorry, the version of mkvtoolnix currently in MacPorts is not compatible with the version of boost currently in MacPorts:
>
>https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32558
>
>It is common for new versions of boost to break software, and for that software to then need to be updated. Unfortunately, newer versions of mkvtoolnix require newer versions of gcc than Apple has provided (or ever will provide) in Xcode. So I am unsure what we are going to do about that.
>
>As a workaround, you can back-date boost to a prior version:
>
>https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32558#comment:21
>
>But this may break any other software you're using that uses boost.

Thanks Ryan.  I'm not using boost for anything else so I did what is suggested in the comment to the bug report.  Unfortunately, the x264transcode script now barfs: "This version of mencoder does not support x264."

I'm not going to push this any further right now.  This was more a whim than a burning need!  ;)

BTW, would there be any possibility of an enhancement to MacPorts to report known issues with a port and its dependants?  Ie generate the list of dependencies for a port and query the trac database for any open tickets.  aka

>port issues mkvtoonix
 boost - #32558 (mkvtoolnix: error: 'boost::BOOST_FOREACH' has not been declared)

Is there a wishlist of potential features for MacPorts?

Again, thanks for your support.

Craig