Perl 5.14 ad default, and Irssi to use it

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 16 23:04:57 PST 2012

On Jan 16, 2012, at 19:13, Puneet Kishor wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2012, at 6:56 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jan 16, 2012, at 18:54, Puneet Kishor wrote:
>>
>>> So, I am curious as to why the recommendation to not use cpan to install modules.
>>
>> Because I was under the impression that cpan would install things to the same place that MacPorts would install them, and thus cause a conflict.
>
> yes, you are correct that cpan and macports would install to the same location, but there really should be no conflict as long as the modules are built correctly. They are just two different ways to install modules to the same location. The only problem I can thing of is that cpan (or, in my case, cpanm) might overwrite a macports installed module,

Yes, that's what would happen. Then "port installed" would show the wrong version of the module installed. And if the new version of the module provides new files that the old version did not, "port uninstall" would not completely uninstall it.

> and, assuming that macports maintains some sort of a "receipts" system,

It does.

> it might get confused, but that also shouldn't occur.

It will. If you try to install something with MacPorts that you've already installed outside of MacPorts, MacPorts will (rightly) complain that the files it was planning to install already exist.

> Macports would really never know the difference... it would continue to think that package foo is as installed by it even though it might be a new version installed by cpan(m).
>
> I recently installed PDL 2.4.6 using macports and then upgraded it to PDL 2.4.9 by downloading the PDL source code and doing the perl Makefile.PL bit... it works just fine. In fact, if I recall correctly, the only part of perl that I installed using macports is Perl 5.14.1. Every single other module installed by me has been with the help of cpanminus, and it all just works.
>
> I hope I don't get bit in the butt, but so far so good.

It sounds like you're just asking for trouble by doing this. So if you want help from this community in the future, I suggest you don't do this.