help with trouble with pango, etc

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 16:36:13 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> homelap-3:~ comerduncan$ sudo port install szip
> Password:
> --->  Cleaning szip

This mneans szip is already installed.

> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
> --->  Found 57 broken file(s), matching files to ports
> --->  Found 9 broken port(s), determining rebuild order
> --->  Rebuilding in order
>      pango @1.30.0 +x11

Modern MacPorts checks *all* installed ports after an operation for
breakage, usually in the form of missing shared libraries.  So szip is not
really related to this issue, unless your earlier (not shown) attempts to
install it reinstalled some dependency with incompatible variants.  pango
would be an odd one for that, though, so I suspect something else caused
its breakage.  (Or it was already broken and you recently selfupdate-d to a
version of MacPorts with the rev-upgrade checks.)

In any case, the reported problem is that you have a version of pango
installed with +no_x11, but MacPorts thinks it should be installed with
+x11 instead.  You can possibly fix this with

    sudo port -R upgrade --enforce-variants pango -no_x11 +x11

but this may lead to other conflicts down the line with whatever forced you
into having the wrong pango variiant installed.