binaries list

Gregory Seidman gsslist+macports at anthropohedron.net
Tue Jul 3 19:20:12 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 09:02:44PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2012, at 20:39, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> > The only other thing I'd like is "apt-cache policy <package>"
> > functionality,
>
> Could you explain what that is, for those of us unfamiliar with apt?

Sorry, yes, I should have explained originally. On my Debian server:

% apt-cache policy netatalk
netatalk:
  Installed: 2.2.2-1
  Candidate: 2.2.2-1
  Version table:
 *** 2.2.2-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.1.2-2 0
        990 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main i386 Packages

It tells me that netatalk version 2.1.2-2 is available from the repository,
but that I have 2.2.2-1 installed (because I jumped through hoops to
install a newer version, as it turns out).

What I'm looking for is a convenient way to see what versions are available
to be installed and what versions, if any, are installed.

> On Jul 3, 2012, at 19:42, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> > Also, is there any way to do something similar to port list outdated
> > that will tell me whether a binary of a newer version is available?
>
> No; also, "port list" is not the command you want. See:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#portlist

In this case, port list is exactly what I wanted. I wanted to see what was
available rather than what is installed.

--Greg